Pest Management in School
By Dr. Rauf
Schools are regularly treated for infestation of various insects and other pests. The school environment is a sensitive environment as the children are more vulnerable to pesticides. Their bodily systems are in developing stage and are less capable to detoxify the pesticides. The development of brain and the immune system of children are badly effected by pesticides exposure.
The management of school generally takes some precautions during pest control treatment like the treatment is scheduled during holidays or on Sunday when the school is closed. They also ask for use of safe products and do not allow to store any toxic product inside the school premises. All the pesticides have residual effects. Therefore, the accumulated pesticides may affect the children. Many pesticides can accumulate on desks, doors, windows chairs and table after treatment in classrooms. The pesticide vapor may also contaminate the school environment and air indoors.
Still some pest control companies are using the dangerous pesticides like organophosphate and carbamates. These may adversely affect the children by inhibiting cholinesterase. The pesticide exposure effects the stamina, memory and coordination. The exposure at minor level may cause skin and eye irritation in children. Other symptoms like nausea, headache, vomiting and convulsions may also happen. It is alarming as these toxic pesticides may cause cancer and damage the nervous system.
The long term effects of mild and low dose pesticides exposure are still unknown. Truly Pest Solution Pvt. Ltd., does not use Organophosphate and carbamates in its pest management program. TPS has its unique Integrated pest Management (IPM) program for schools. We render five steps and three zone service in school premises. We do not use any toxic pesticide indoors. Our main product used is less toxic than the common salt to human being. Nontoxic repellent products are used to manage rodents and other pests.